something for the weekend 3:1
explore your CHARACTER STRENGTHS
Your CHARACTER STRENGTHS are who YOU are as a person.
Knowing how to use them will help you to be a better YOU.
SCROLL DOWN FOR YOUR FUN ACTIVITY.
purpose of this activity
This activity will help you to understand what CHARACTER STRENGTHS are, and why they are important.
In order to complete this activity you need to have your VIA Strengths Report to hand.
So if you haven't already, take the VIA Character Strengths survey now.
Make sure you ask your parent/ caregiver first as they will need to register (it's free).
Once you have your report, move on to the next section.
3 reasons why we love CHARACTER STRENGTHS
- 1Research shows that people who use their CHARACTER STRENGTHS day to day, are happier, healthier, feel more energised and are more confident.
- 2Knowing your CHARACTER STRENGTHS helps you to understand who you really are and also give you the tools to be able to improve.
- 3Focusing on your STRENGTHS is a really positive way to think about yourself and by knowing who you are, you give yourself a head start over your competition.
how do you feel?
Before you go on to do any work on your CHARACTER STRENGTHS it really helps if you have a think about how you feel about your STRENGTHS report.
Most of the time we tend to think of ourselves in terms of what we do wrong, so looking at yourself through the lens of your STRENGTHS may surprise you and you might have some questions.
We have designed a quick set of questions to help you to become more comfortable with your STRENGTHS- you will need a pen and some paper to jot down your answers.
your signature strengths
The top 5-7 strengths on your report are called your SIGNATURE STRENGTHS.
These are the STRENGTHS that are the most important to you.
They are the key to who YOU are, these STRENGTHS are you at your BEST.
When you use these STRENGTHS, you will feel energised and whatever you are doing will feel natural and easy.
- 1How do you feel about your SIGNATURE STRENGTHS?
- 2Are you surprised that a particular STRENGTH appears, or does the order look and feel about right?
- 3Draw a line under what you feel to be your last SIGNATURE STRENGTH so you know what they are.
your middle strengths
The next 10 or so strengths on your report are called your MIDDLE STRENGTHS.
These are the STRENGTHS that help to support your SIGNATURE STRENGTHS.
You tend to use these STRENGTHS when the situation requires, for example TEAMWORK when doing a school project.
- 1How do you feel about your MIDDLE STRENGTHS?
- 2Is there a MIDDLE STRENGTH that you feel should be a SIGNATURE STRENGTH? If so, which one and why?
your lower strengths
The 4-7 STRENGTHS at the end of your list are your LOWER STRENGTHS.
These are NOT weaknesses, they are STRENGTHS that might be underdeveloped, underused, or you might only use them in certain situations.
- 1How do you feel about your LOWER STRENGTHS?
- 2Is there a LOWER STRENGTH that you wish you had more of? If so, which one and why?
your 7 day challenge
That's it, well done!
Your challenge over the next 7 days is to see how many STRENGTHS you can notice yourself using.
Make sure that you have your STRENGTHS REPORT and the VIA list of STRENGTHS on the wall where you can see them.
Download your CHARACTER STRENGTH checklist (below), put it on the wall too, and have fun noticing when you use your STRENGTHS.