Resilience: a Boot Camp for your kids
Module 3: Positivity
see you again
How did you get on with last week's 7 DAY CHALLENGE?
Did you show your resilience in the situation you mentioned?
We hope that you tried your best and that you are feeling more and more RESILIENT.
Last module you learned about BELIEF, the next step on your RESILIENCE journey is all about being POSITIVE.
today you are
going to learn
why positivity is important
- 1Your life won't always go according to plan. You are going to have to recover from setbacks if you are to get the results that you want... POSITIVITY will help you.
- 2Research shows that if you are POSITIVE, you are tougher mentally, you stick with things for longer, you will be happier, healthier and live longer: IMPRESSIVE!
- 3A POSITIVE attitude will help you to look for solutions and ideas to make things better- solving problems is a vital skill for you to have in your life.
what is positivity?
POSITIVITY can mean many different things. POSITIVITY helps you to feel good about yourself, others, and the world around you. It helps you to try different things, to look for solutions, to feel love, joy, confidence and happiness.
For the purposes of this module when we say POSITIVITY we mean the way that you think and the way that you approach your life.
it's important to remember
What we are saying though, is that it's extremely useful to be able to think positively and to recognise that no matter the situation, it's an experience you can learn from.
how to be positive:
Let's imagine that you had a big fall out with your best friend, and they are no longer your best friend... now that's a tough one, right?
If this had happened to you, no doubt you would have felt awful at the time and would probably still feel awful.
So what do you do?
Click to see how we do it...
ONE POSITIVE THING:
- 1I now have lots of new friends.
TWO THINGS I LEARNED:
- 1I can't control what other people say and do, but I can control what I say and do.
- 2I should not worry so much about what people think.
THREE THINGS I COULD DO DIFFERENTLY
- 1Not to worry when things don't go well because it will work out fine in the end.
- 2Speak to an adult when things go wrong- I got some great advice from Mum.
- 3Make sure that I apologise quickly when I do something wrong.
what 123 does
123 doesn't change facts. You would still have fallen out with your friend, which is sad.
over to you...
You have a good understanding of POSITIVITY and why it is a really useful tool, especially when it comes to being RESILIENT.
Now it's time for you to experience how this process works by applying 123 to a real life situation from your past.
apply 123 to a situation from
Think of a difficult experience from your past and write it down on your worksheet (write down the facts only). Now you are going to apply the 123 rule... ok?
- 1ONE POSITIVE thing that happened as a result of this event.
- 2TWO THINGS THAT YOU LEARNED as a result of this event.
- 3THREE THINGS THAT YOU COULD DO DO DIFFERENTLY, to achieve a better outcome.
You have learned a powerful technique that can turn any situation into something that:
- 1You can feel POSITIVE about.
- 2You can LEARN from.
- 3You can creatively find solutions that help you to do things DIFFERENTLY.
Just remember the traffic lights 123 and see how you feel afterwards.
Excellent work, that is module 3 done and dusted!
By now, you are probably noticing your sense of RESILIENCE growing a bit stronger...
See you in in the next module!
Click to check out your progress...
Enter your name & print off your award.
7 day challenge
Your 7 DAY CHALLENGE this week is to TRAIN YOUR BRAIN to look for POSITIVITY.
Most of the time we don't really notice too much when good stuff happens. So, every night for the next 7 nights just before bed, your parent/ caregiver will ask you:
What was good or positive about what happened today?ts.
Then either say it outloud, or make a note on your activity sheet.
This is also a really nice way to go to sleep... thinking good, happy and positive thoughts.